Adoption and Name Change

When a court grants a Judgment of Adoption, very often the Petitioners have also requested a change of name for the child. Under Oregon law, if a child is 14 or older, he or she must also consent to the name change. The change can be to a completely new name, and to any part of the name (first, middle, last name), or parents can add extra names (many people have two middle names, or hyphenated or compound first or last names). The change can also be to a name which is different from the parents’ last names (perhaps to match a sibling); it can be a simple spelling change.

2 Responses to Adoption and Name Change

  1. I don’t know if you can help me or not. I was adopted by my birth mother and her new husband when I was 14, (I am now 38) in deschutes county. My name was changed during the adoption from Robert Clinton Stevens to Clinton Keithaniel Willman. I now reside in Texas and I am trying to get Texas identification but nobody can find my adoption records or amended birth certificate. I was born in California and they sent me a copy of my original with my original name. The judge that approved the adoption is retired, the attorney is retired, and my mother doesn’t have the record. As I mentioned I am in Texas and I am staying in a homeless shelter because my Oregon id is expired and I can’t get work with out-of-date and out-of-state id which means I cannot get an apartment. I can’t even leave Texas without proper id. I need all documents pertaining to my adoption and name change and I don’t know what to do. I’m hoping you can help or at least give me some advice. I thank you for your time

    • Clinton, you will need the Deschutes County court record of adoption to be sent to the Vital Records in California in order to get a birth certificate after adoption which reflects the change of name.If you know the name of the Oregon attorney who completed the adoption, write to him or her, and explain that the last step of the adoption was not completed (which is to forward the court-certified adoption report to California, along with the fees so they can amend their birth records and mail you a new birth certificate. Your parents should have kept those important papers, but if your mother doesn’t have them, then the Deschutes County Circuit Court has the official record, so that’s the place that can help you. You might need a court order to gain access to the file.